The Cook prepares foods according to recipe specifications while preventing waste contributing to financial stewardship. The Cook contributes to the effective operations of the department through preparation of food for residents. Food preparation may include, cooking according to facility standard recipes, transporting food to service areas, storing and issuing of supplies, and maintaining a clean and orderly work environment. The cook is required to ensure food, equipment, and work surface sanitation standards are maintained. Follows food storage standards according to regulatory agencies and best practice. Contributes to the positive resident service by “owning” resident interactions and providing safe and high quality foods.
This position has set weekends but varying weekday schedules determined according to staffing needs. Management will make every attempt to keep a consistent schedule and to have the schedule posted 2 weeks in advance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare various foods, following established menus and recipes while adhering to facility and state food handling and sanitation guidelines.
- Gathers ingredients and equipment to cook meals, under detailed instruction and, in accordance with specific area needs; checks food temperatures and/or prepares areas for daily operations.
- Collects food and supplies from the main kitchen, central supply, to the serving site either by carrying or by utilizing a cart. Replenishes foods, paper products and linens (i.e. aprons, napkins, wash towels).
- Operate various kitchen equipment in preparation for the meal, including but not limited to mixers, food processor, oven, steamer, blender and dish machine.
- Attends to day-to-day problems and needs concerning food supplies, beverage supplies and resident menu changes.
- Maintains cooling, cleaning and stocking logs.
- May clean, wash and maintain work areas, including floors, facilities, pots, pans, service ware, utensils, and equipment; collects and places garbage and trash in designated containers; as appropriate to the area of operation.
- May provide guidance and training to other employees performing related work.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma, GED, or greater education completion preferred.
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be able to follow verbal and/or written instructions.
- Knowledge of food preparation and presentation methods, techniques, and quality standards.
- Ensures all food and other items are stored properly.
- Must be able to tolerate considerable physical activity. May require lifting and manipulating of objects that can weigh up to 50 lbs.
- Preference will be given to those with proven experience in position of interest or previous experience in a food service role.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Good communication skills with residents and employees from multiple departments.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and inventory control.
- Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Ability to work with others as a team.
- Ability to lead and train staff and/or students.
- Ability to complete tasks in a reasonable amount of time.
- Ability to make decisions and adapt on the fly.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Preferred candidate has proven experience in position of interest, a similar position or previous experience in a cooking role.
- Should have experience preparing food, operating cooking equipment and maintaining kitchen and dining area cleanliness
- Successful candidate must pass a pre-employment physical examination, medical history check, reference check, drug screening and criminal background check.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Considerable physical activity. May require handling of objects that can weigh up to 50 lbs.
- Able to stand for long periods of time.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
- Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
Week days and every other weekend
Click Here to Download Floor Cook Job Description